What's all the fuss?
The Hunter & Walsh team take skin testing very seriously, your health is the most important thing to us when we are using colouring products on your hair. Hair dyes contain PPD (paraphenylenediamine or p-phenylenediamine) which are commonly associated with allergic reactions to hair colourants.
PPD is used in permanent hair colours, it is needed for almost all shades, but especially the darker shades. PPD is used to achieve successful colouring of grey hair.
Allergic reactions to PPD are rare and the vast majority of people colour their hair with no problems at all. It is possible to develop an allergy to PPD and similar products over time, without realising. So even if you have been using hair colourants without issues for a long time or are a regular guest in our salon it is possible that you may have developed an allergic reaction since your last visit.
How does this affect me?
We are changing our policy on skin testing by bringing it into line with the National Hairdresser's Federation and Wella's guidelines. This may be a bit annoying for you as even if you are a regular guest to our salon we may want to perform an Allergy Alert Test on you at least 48 hours before your colour appointment.
In order to determine if you are at risk and will need an Allergy Alert Test we will ask you these simple questions..
- Are you taking any medications for allergies?
- Is this your first visit to Hunter & Walsh?
- Has it been more than 6 months since your last colour service in Hunter & Walsh?
- Have you had a tattoo since your last colour service in Hunter & Walsh?
- Are you under 16?
- Have you had a temporary henna tattoo since your last colour appointment in Hunter & Walsh?
If you answer YES to any of these questions you must have an Allergy Alert Test before we can colour your hair. This test MUST take place in the salon at least 48 hours before your appointment.
How we test you..
You will need to pop into the salon at least 48 hours before your appointment, take advantage of this and have a coffee, you wont need to make an appointment and there is no charge.
- We will pop a tiny amount of colour into the crook of your arm.
- You will need to leave this uncovered for 45 minutes and then wash it off with luke warm water.
- If you notice any rash, redness, burning, swelling or itching before the 45 minutes is up , you should take it off immediately and contact your doctor.
- The same applies if you notice any of these reactions within 48 hours after the test. You will need to let us know as we will not be able to proceed with your colour service.
Colour Safety for All
Under the new Hunter & Walsh Allergy Testing Policy will offer Allergy Testing to every one of our salon guests, we will complete a new allergy Alert Test annually to make sure you have not developed an allergy to PPD over time. We will keep a record of your testing on our system for 2 years and will notify you when a new Allergy Alert Test is needed.
From September 2018 we will be testing each and every guest, even if you are a regular colour guest. We know this may be a bit of a nuisance to you to have to come into the salon but a simple google image search will show you why we are so keen to keep you safe. Reactions are rare but when they occur they can be fatal.